Friday, April 15, 2016

Privacy Please!



Anybody out there who uses MyChart, or any other patient portal to view their child's medical records or communicate with their doctors, might want to read this. 

I'm not sure what all facilities use this app for their patients, or anything like it, but if you use it, my experience may be one you could learn from.   I am a very private person when it comes to certain things that go on in mine and my son's life.  I don't mind sharing things that I believe can be helpful to others, but when I communicate in private, or so I think, with my child's doctor,  I expect that it remain private.  That however, is not the case!

When I dropped LJ off at daycare last week, the nurse there told me that she read through all the messages that I had sent to his doctor about his diarrhea issue.  It blew my mind to hear her say that, but it actually caught me completely off guard.  It was the end of the day, and LJ kept pulling on my leg saying he wanted to go, so I kinda brushed it off, but when I got home is when it really hit me.  So me, being the person I am, I went up to the school the next day, and spoke to a Supervisor, who then referred me to the Executive Director.  I explained my issue to her, and how I could not understand the need, nor the right for the nurse to have gone through my personal messages.   Of course, there was an immediate defense for how I signed over permission for my child's medical records to be released, and he could not attend that school unless I did.   All that is fine and well, but that does not condone, or excuse the fact that she was in my personal messages.   As I explained to the Director, none of those messages pertained to anything going on at daycare, nor were they from myself to her, or vice versa.  That was a violation of my privacy as far as I'm concerned.  After our conversation, she spoke to the nurse about it, and all of the nurses at the school were told not to go into the message portal of any students' charts.  There is now supposed to be a block being put into the system so that it won't even be possible for them to do it if they tried.  This is only for the daycare so far.

I am trying to have something changed, at least for my personal account through the hospital as well.  It bothers me that anyone logging in to his medical records, doctor, or not, can see any message that I send to any doctor.  That has to change.    I have contacted MyChart directly, and they have given me the run around so far, telling me it's not possible for everyone to see.  Clearly it is.  I will get to the bottom of it though.   We make so many sacrifices in the name of convenience, but sometimes, certain things go a little too far.

This just about sums it up. Privacy is dead  because so many people share too much on Facebook (and other sites) without optimizing privacy settings. At Chipp'd we're trying to combat this issue by making your profile completely secure from the start.:

Please feel free to share this story, or comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment