Tuesday, May 31, 2016

One Day at a Time

So, It's Day 4 of us being here in the hospital already. and it has been the longest 4 days.  We've been moved to a different floor because LJ's labs were off so he needed more monitoring.  His electrolytes got off wack because of all of the fluids he has been getting, like his potassium, and magnesium, so he had to be hooked up to a monitor for his heart rate, and where we were, they couldn't watch it as closely as they needed to, so they moved us one floor up.  Here we actually see more familiar faces as far as the nursing staff goes because these are a lot of the same nurses that use to be here when I first had him and he was originally discharged from the hospital when he was a baby.

Its crazy though, him being in the hospital, seeing how careless they can be, but of course I have dealt with this before, with him, and myself.  It never gets old though.  It's crazy the things they do sometimes and really think its acceptable.  Today, for example, I was questioning the nurse about LJ's milk, and why it was just hanging there, because he was not getting it.  My thing is, they would just let it hang for hours, and then give it to my son after it has been just sitting out, when he is already going to have it running continuous.  I mean, it's milk at he end of the day, and it can spoil.  That's ridiculous.  I don't do that at home, but she gonna tell me that at the hospital, their practice is to leave milk hanging like that.  Of course, I was trippin', so I had to have her call somebody to find out about that for me.  Either way, I don't care what they do for somebody else's child, that's not what's about to happen for my son.  Long story short, it was determined that it is not a safe practice, health wise for the milk to just be left hanging for longer than 4 hours at a time, just like I said.  Now, that is just an example of what I have been dealing with.  The list goes on and on, we've been here for days, so you can only imagine.

Today, since it's the beginning of the week, after the holiday weekend, LJ got to see a bunch of doctors too.  we saw the usual Pediatrician, and Nephrologist, but GI, and Infectious Disease came by too to try to figure out what is going on with this tummy trouble he's been having since what seem s like forever.   Now, GI has suggested starting him on another medication for his diarrhea to see if this helps.  This one is suppose to be especially for the stomach.  When I talked to the Infectious Disease doctors though, they were not so eager to start him on it.  They don't think he needs it at all actually.  They told me that they would like to talk more with GI and do some more investigating before we give him anymore antibiotics, but they did seem to think the Imodium might be worth a try.   I ill have to see by tomorrow what comes of this discussion.  I swear its just like a merry go round.  I know they need to get this figured out while we are here, or at least have a better game plan by the time we leave.

For me in my current situation this rings very true...10 plus years of waiting and hoping and trying to control the stress and just live life....and still we wait.:


No comments:

Post a Comment